16 September 2005

BlueBoard?


One of the more difficult parts of the bathroom job because of all the angles. The wall with the outlet box is actually the only place in the whole bathroom where you can stillsee the original wall from before I started. Although I did mend all the cracks with tape and spackle as well as taping all of the corners where it meets the other walls and ceiling, I then gave the whole wall a “Skim Coat” which is a thin layer of plaster covering the entire wall to smooth everything back out. It was actually the first time I have ever done a skim coat on an old wall like this...I think it worked out rather well. In fact I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t be doing the modern version of Plaster and Lath walls which is now done by putting up, “Blue Board” (yet another type of sheetrock (or DryWall)) and then covering it with a layer of plaster. I saw it on the Carlisle House season of This Old House and it looked great when they were done. What I found doing this skim coat was that, with far less layering than I normally do over tape (see earlier pix for that discussion), I was able to get an overall smooth layer of plaster on the wall that required a minimal amount of sanding before it was ready to paint. And with so much of the wall generally being covered when working up to a 12inch spackle knife over all of the screw holes and in the corners, I think it might just be easier to cover the whole thing in one shot. With that said, on T.O.H. the guy that owned the platering company said it takes about a year for a new guy to get good enough at it that they start making money on him. Now I will never say I’m fast at this stuff...but I will say I have over 30 years of experience using my hands to manipulate clay and other materials and that I have done enough spackle work recently that I had enough control with the big knife to, as I said, cover the entire wall and leave myself very minimal sanding to do after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home