25 November 2005

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...


One of the last projects in the bathroom was putting up the new vanity. I decided to go with one that I think is a little nicer than what was in there before.
Unfortunately...I didn't think it all the way through before I put it in and hooked it up.
The first problem is that this one is taller than the other one was which unfortunately meant the electrical box I put in the wall where the old wires had just been hanging out of the wall was now too low. Fortunately I left myself enough wire so that I could run it out of the box and up the wall to the top of the cabinet where the wires for the lights are.
The next problem became apparent when I turned the power back on. The old cabinet had a switch for it's lights, this one does not. And naturally when I re-did the wiring in the bathroom I made it so that the outlet and vanity were always hot and not controlled by the main switch. I had already put my second GFI outlet in the wall there because the first one was cheap junk and it burned out so I bought a better one when I was at Lowe's.
So I went to my local electric supply house and talked to them about switch possibilities and worked my way up from one that was a dollar to one that was $13 to what I ended up with which is the GFI/switch combo you see here for $26. I was pissed that it was that much but when I looked at them at the big stores they were only $23 so I went from feeling ripped off to being happy that I supported my local little guy and not the big national chain stores on that one.

So now it's all hooked up and done and it looks pretty darn good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have some broken stuff. Please come fix it.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jamey said...

K.
:)

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home